Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My Story and Children's Hanbok


2 Years ago I made a post about Hanbok and I promissed a whole Habok-Series...2 years sounds like a VERY long time, but considering that 2 months after my post I was traveling through Seoul and 2011 was a very hard year for me and my family, I feel like it was just a few months ago that I was posting the history of Hanbok, honestly I feel a little bit lost and I feel my blog has been reflecting how I feel... I'm having some very bad days and I've forgoten why I have my blog... for almost 3 years this blog has helped me change my mood and it was something I was always looking to do but lately I feel like I have nothing to say :( 

As some of you know (I've writen about this before) my mom had Cancer and a month ago she left my sister and me, I know she is now in a better place and all the pain is gone for her, for the past month I've been trying to avoid my feelings, for fear or maybe is just plain denial, my sister and I have been way to busy to be true and this has helped a lot to hide those feelings... I'm not sure how I feel now, the only thing I'm sure about right now is... I miss my mom, I miss her laughter, her kisses and  just her being moody, sometimes I feel so selfish I wish she was still here even if she had pains I wish she was still with us and this just causes some worst feelings around me and if that wasn't enough my birthday is 5 days away and the only thing I can think
about is that she will not be the 1st to congratulate me and hug me anymore...not only she will not be the 1st one but I will not receive another hug from here and that just kills me... 

But I also realize it's time to move on, this does not mean I won't be thinking of her or missing her, but It's time to re-take my life who sort-of has been on Pause or Slow motion ever since February 7th 2011... it's time to press PLAY again and just make her proud of me wherever she is at :) (Moomin I miss you!!!) 

So I decided to get back on blogging and this time you are forced to be my Therapist :), and since my brain is not 100% focused I would like if you can give me any suggestions on what would you like to read here. 

So.... Hanbok!, last time I talk a little bit about the history of the Hanbok and Women's Clothing, this time is time to talk about Children's Hanbok, if you have ever been to an important event with Kids I bet you have seen how cute they look with their Hanboks. 

A few months ago I went to the Openning of the Korean Cultural Center in Mexico and saw the cuttest kid wearing his Hanbok and automatically thought about this post and my forgoten Hanbok Series. 

In the old days the Kkachi Durumagi was worn as Seolbim, new clothing and shoes were worn on Seolnal (New Year's day in the Korean Calender), but now it is worn as a Ceremonial garment to celebrate Chuseok or the Baby's 1st Birthday (Doljanchi). The clothes is also called obangjang durumagi  which means "an overcoat of five directions". It was worn over the jeogori (jacket) and jokki (vest). The Kkachi Durumagi was also worn
with Bokgeon (Peaked Cloth hat) or Hogeon (Peaked Cloth hat with a tiger pattern) for young boys or Gulle (decorative headgear) for young girls. 

A boy usually wears a pinkish jeogori (jacket) with a long blue goreum (cloth strings). Girls usually wear a rainbow-striped jeogori for special occasions. Currently, the trend is for girls to wear a dangui, a kind of ceremonial coat.

Hanbok 


-Gisela V. 

No comments:

Post a Comment