Saturday, November 27, 2010

Korean for Dummies 101 Part 2

It's time! Yup!, time for our 2nd lesson!, well, this one is not much of a lesson is more of a "Survival Phrases" post, because going to a country and not speaking the language must be HARD! specially if it's something we don't hear as ofter as English, right?, So, I've been looking for this survival phrases that I will be needed when I be in Seoul O_O

On the previous lesson we learned how to say "Hello, My name is___. Nice to meet you", but if you manage to say this in "perfect" Korean people might think you speak the language and this is where it gets complicated....right? ... So here are some Useful phrases like "Do you Speak english?, I don't understand, where is___?, etc"

Enjoy!!!!!!!!
And hopefully I'll have time to make more post before leaving to Seoul :O w00t!!





English 한국어 (Korean)
Welcome 환영합니다 (hwangyong-hamnida)
Hello 안녕하세요 (annyeonghaseyo) - frm, 안녕 (annyeong) - inf
여보세요 (yeoboseyo) - on phone
How are you?


I'm fine, thanks.
어떻게 지내세요? (eotteohke jinaeseyo?)
안녕하셨습니까? (an nyeong ha siut seum ni ka?)
잘지내요 (jaljinaeyo)


What's your name?




My name is ...
당신의 이름은 무엇입니까?
(dangsinui ireumeun mueosip nikka?) inf
성함이 어떻게 되십니까?
(sungham ee uttoke daesipnika?) frm
제 이름은 ... 입니다 (je ireum-eun ... imnida)
Where are you from?
I'm from ...
어디서 오셨어요? (Eodiseo osyeosseoyo)
저는 ... 에서 왔어요 (Jeoneun ... eseo wasseuyo)
Pleased to meet you 만나서 반갑습니다 (Mannaseo bangapseumnida) [frm polite]
만나서 반가워요 (Mannaseo bangawoyo) [inf polite]
Good morning/
afternoon/evening
안녕하십니까 (annyeong hashimnikka)


Goodbye 안녕 (annyeong)
안녕히 계세요 (annyeonghi gyeseyo) - you are leaving
안녕히 가세요 (annyeonghi gaseyo) - you are staying
I don't understand 모르겠습니다 (moreugesseumnida)
Please speak more slowly 천천히 말씀해 주세요 (Cheoncheonhi malssuemhae jeseyo)
Please write it down 적어 주세요! (Cheogeo jeseyo!)
Do you speak Korean?


Yes, a little
한국말 하실 줄 아세요? (hangukmal hasil jul aseyo?) - frm
한국말 할 줄 아니? (hangukmal hal jul ani?) - inf
예, 조금요 (yae, jogeumyo) - frm
응, 조금 (eung, jogeum) - inf
How do you say
... in Korean?
... 를 한국말로 어떻게 말해요?
(... reul hangukmal-lo eotteoh-ge maraeyo?)
Excuse me 실례하겠습니다! (shillehagessumnida)
How much is this? 이게 얼마예요? (ige eolmayeyo?)
Sorry 미안합니다! (mianhamnida)

Where's the toilet? 화장실이 어디예요? (hwajangsiri eodiyeyo)


-Gisela V.

2 comments:

  1. yikes! this is so formal!!! usually just sticking with the 요 ending form is the most simple and practical...

    ReplyDelete
  2. O_O I guess I'll learn better ways to say this once I'm there n_n

    ReplyDelete