Friday, August 20, 2010

Makgeolli VS Soju

Makgeolli (막걸리) is an alcoholic beverage native to Korea. It is made from rice (referred to in English as "Korean rice wine") which gives it a milky, off-white color, and sweetness. It is made by fermenting a mixture of boiled rice and water, and is about 6.5–7% alcohol by volume. It was originally quite popular among farmers, earning it the name nongju (농주), which means "farmer liquor". However, it has recently started to become more popular in cities, especially with the younger generations. Additionally, makgeolli is used during ancestral rites in Korea.

Cute bottle like the one I got
Box Container
Commercially, makgeolli is most commonly available in plastic bottles or aseptic box containers. Traditionally, it is served in a large metal or wooden bowl from which individual cups and bowls are filled using a ladle. As it is an unfiltered beverage, makgeolli is generally shaken or stirred before being consumed, as the cloudy white portion tends to settle to the bottom, leaving a pale yellow-clear liquid on top.





 Ok as you can see that's the Definition of Makgeolli according to Wikipedia, This liquor can be found in Mexico City in Zona Rosa, there are several Korean Stores, I bought a 1 lt bottle for $150 pesos (around 12USD) but then I went to the Seoul Market (the biggest Korean store in Zona Rosa) and they have a Boc container of 1 lt aswell but cheapper... I think mine was $150 because of the bottle (because it's cute lol).
Makgeolli taste something between sweet and sour (???) by itself, but then I tried it with grapefruit soda wich is really good but too sweet... since I had some grapes I decides to squeeze some of them and throw them on my glass of Makgeolli, somehow this takes out some of the sweet flavour and ends up with a really nice drink.

So if you haven't tried it...what are you waiting for????
I would recomend to drink it on a Hot day .
Soju!! 

Soju ( 소주) is a distilled beverage native to Korea. Its taste is comparable to vodka, though often slightly sweeter due to the sugars added in the manufacturing process, and more commonly consumed neat.
Soju is clear in colour and typically varies in alcohol content from about 20% to about 45% alcohol by volume (ABV), with 20% ABV being most common.
It is against traditional custom in Korea to fill one's own glass. Instead, it must be filled by someone else at the table. This promotes a spirit of thoughtfulness and camaraderie.In Korean culture, using two hands to offer and accept items is considered an act of respect.

I got 2 bottles of Soju last year...but it's quite strong O_o and I never thought of mixing it with something
else, until I found this:

Mixing soju and beer is called somaek, a portmanteau of the words soju and maekju (맥주 - beer)

Flavored soju is also available. A poktanju(폭탄주) (lit: "bomb drink,") consists of a shot glass of soju dropped into a pint of draft beer (like a boilermaker or Irish Car Bomb) and is drunk quickly <-WARNING!! lol

I would like to try it with juice,,, or like a Cosmopolitan! I guess I will have to try it on my vacations!
(Just so I can tell you if it's good or not n_n lol)


-Gisela V.

No comments:

Post a Comment